Though I’ve been writing as a hobby for quite some time, 2020 was the year I really started to get serious about it. I’ve often heard that it takes years and many, many rejections to break into the publishing world, and my journey is proving this theory correct.
In 2020, I’ve received:
- 13 Picture Book manuscript rejections
- 1 magazine submission rejection
- 0 offers for agent representation
But…I feel like I’m further along than I ever have been! Here are all of the cool, amazing things that DID happen in 2020!
- I met my dream critique group! The four of us clicked immediately and everyone is so supportive and encouraging, while always offering insightful, helpful critiques so that we each improve our writing. Follow these language-loving word-wizards on Twitter! @KindlingEducat1, @LindseyBHobson, @MollyIppolito
- Speaking of Twitter – in 2020, I managed to grow from a nearly inactive Twitter account with under 20 followers to approaching 1000 followers. The #writingcommunity is huge on Twitter and I feel fortunate to have connected with so many wonderful peers.
- I participated in 6 Twitter Pitch Parties (PitMad x2, PBPitch x2, FaithPitch, and WMPitch)
- I won 3 Thursday Read-Through Giveaways, hosted by @MarynaDoughty and @SarahJWMeade. It’s a little surreal to hear your manuscripts read aloud. It really makes your stories seem like real books! And it’s been helpful to hear where revisions may still be needed. Follow these ladies on Twitter too and enter to win their weekly giveaway!
- I won 3 picture book giveaways! Support these authors by giving them a follow on Twitter.
- LET’S DANCE by Valerie Bolling (@valerie_bolling)
- GOD BLESSES ME by Della Ross Ferreri (@DellaRF)
- REX THE WE DON’T KNOW by Heather Macht (@AuthorHMacht)
- I won a picture book critique of my work by author Lauren Kerstein (@LaurenKerstein).
- I entered 2 writing contests
- Fall Writing Frenzy Contest, hosted by Kaitlyn Sanchez (@KaitlynLeann17) and Lydia Lukidis (@LydiaLukidis)
- 2020 Holiday Contest for Children’s Writers, hosted by Susanna Leonard Hill (@SusannaLHill)
- To my surprise, I received an Honorable Mention for my story in the Holiday contest! I earned a $10 Amazon gift card (my first “money” made writing!😄) and some very positive and helpful feedback from the contest host.
- I’ve written many stories this year, both for the general market and the Christian market. Some may never see the light of day, but everything I write is strengthening my writing muscle and improving my writing overall.
- I queried 3 picture book manuscripts and I submitted 5 short stories to children’s magazines.
- I started this blog!
- I learned to navigate MSWL and Query Tracker.
- I joined SCBWI, Rate Your Story (@Literally_Lynne), and will be registering for 12×12 in January (@JulieFHedlund).
- I’ve watched SCBWI webinars, PB Palooza panels, and various literary YouTube videos.
- And I’ve participated in/signed up for a few freebies like PB Train (@MindyAlyseWeiss), Story Storm (@taralazar), and 12 Days of Christmas (@JulieFHedlund).
- Somehow I’ve also found time to read a few books just for me. Because, as they say, you can’t be a writer without also being a reader.
Wow! Even though I haven’t “made it” yet, writing this all out really helps to see how far I’ve come this year. And let’s face it, I’ve always loved a good list! 😀 I encourage you to write out your accomplishments from the year too! It might just help salvage what has otherwise felt like a pretty tough year.
Now, Adios 2020! So long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu.
Merry Christmas!🎄 Happy Holidays!❄️
See y’all in 2021. I can’t wait! ❤️
What a great idea to list out all of your writing victories for 2020! It really shows how much you have accomplished! Proud of you, CP! I might have to steal this idea for my blog!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Do it!! 😀 Blog ideas are few and far between…have to write something when an idea strikes. Ha! So glad to have you as a CP!! ❤️
Wow! You really have accomplished so much with your writing this year! All while making a move and setting up a new home in the midst of Covid. Thankfully surviving getting Covid too😊. So far anyway!
Sent from my iPhone
LikeLiked by 1 person
What a great list! Thanks for the #thursdayreadthroughs shout-out! Maryna and I appreciate it.
LikeLiked by 1 person